Thursday, August 8, 2013

Arrival Revival

I'm now in Frankfurt, have slept for about 14 much needed hours and am now ready to tackle a few challenges....one especially big one, no bike! It's kinda difficult to start a tour and not have a bicycle.  Apparently I got on the plane and my bag got on the plane but my bike did not. Although I wasn't alone, another family had two bicycles that were suppose to be on that flight, but weren't either. Currently I could use a few dozen finger crossings that all this means is my bike is a day or two behind me and I pick it up soon.
My Frankfurt host Guille gave me wonderful directions on how to get from the airport to downtown via train and after a couple of hours sorting out missing bike situation and getting some money I boarded a train. I'm sure I was a sight because I had to carry all my gear rather than have it attached to my bike. Picture a 20 pound duffle bag the height of me slung over the backside of me.  For me I was just happy to have some useable money and be on the correct train.  Although I haven't yet mentioned the state of my exhaustion.  As much as I tried the only thing I managed on the plane was serval short naps, so by this point I had been awake for about 24 hours.
The train station comes out at an outdoor market, fresh fruit was every where. I wobbled past a homeless man passed out on some steps and was instantaneously jealous. I had already been contiplating where I could fall asleep.

Okay so wash my mouth out with soap, but I have never been so happy to see a Starbucks! Hello mocha frapp, hello wifi and hello a place to relax a moment and orientate myself.  I still needed to find and walk about 4 blocks to Guille's home.  I checked out a map and was mostly confident in my exhausted state of confusion and then set out in the wrong direction, of course.  At about the about three blocks mark my body had decided that it had had enough. I just couldn't lift this damn duffle bag back on to my back anymore and believe me I tried.  After a few moments of "okay time to rethink this situation" I decided to dismantle the duffle bag into my panniers and see if my body could handle carrying four panniers, two dry sacks and a small backpack instead....and it did.
By this point I was beginning to suspect I was going in the wrong direction but thought I'd walk another couple blocks to make sure. I had almost made it back to square one when I was rescued by man who thought I was carrying too much and wanted to help me. Meet Paul. I declined his offer to help me carry my load simply because I just couldn't squat again to get anything off of me and still stand up again. Instead I asked Paul to help my find where I needed to go. Instead of pointing where I needed to go he walked me all the way to Guille's apartment! It fills my heart again to be reminded that there are still people who only want to give to you and don't expect or want anything in return.
So here I sit at wooden kitchen table in Frankfurt...no bike but I'm not exhausted anymore and today Guille is going to show me the city. I'll still take it!

1 comment:

  1. Glad to hear you made it safe and got some well needed rest! <3 you cant wait to read more about your travels :)

    Love
    Brittannia

    ReplyDelete